International Student Program
International Student Program
We proudly provide:
- Secure home-stay arrangements for international students closely monitored by the College
- Extensive EAL program, Career Counselling and Guidance, Study Skills Programs, After-school Homework Club and an Orientation Program to ensure starting international students a smooth transition to our College
- Dedicated staff who are knowledgeable and passionate about supporting students in achieving optimal success
- Professional international student program assistants providing individual support and tutoring
Outstanding Facilities at South Oakleigh include:
- Convenient location serviced by regular public transport routes
- Intensive English as an Additional Language classes
- Accelerated VCE programs available for Year 10 students
- After-school Homework Club
- Extensive music and theatre program with a major annual theatre production
- Instrumental Music Program
- TV Studio, Media Communication Centre linked to the whole curriculum
- Access to Master Classes in Science at Melbourne and Monash University
Student’s Academic Program:
Students who have enrolled with us and who have not completed their IELTS attend an English Language Centre to undertake intensive English Language classes with the key focus to prepare them to go into mainstream classes. Our International Student Coordinator and Assistant support students whilst at the Language Centre as part of the transition into our school.
Students have the opportunity to study over 25 VCE subjects, this may include the students own language at VSL (Victorian School of Languages on a Saturday morning, University level studies as well as technically orientated studies. Senior Year 11 and 12 VCE classes are generally smaller and an average of 22 students per class. EAL classes are usually less than 20 students. Students are provided with extensive support to assist them in choosing an appropriate VCE program.
How do we support students?
We pride ourselves on our open-door policy of student support. Students are encouraged to seek assistance whenever they need it:
We have an International team which comprises our International Student Coordinator and his Assistant, two additional multicultural aides and our EAL teachers. Students are also supported by our Head of House, Mentor teacher, Careers/Pathways Coordinator, Wellbeing Team and the Sub School Leaders.
Homework Club Tuesday and Thursday:
South Oakleigh College provides a ‘Homework Club’ specifically for International students. These classes are available from 3:30-4:30 and are compulsory for all International students to attend as part of our program. Particular focus will be given to the study of understanding the English Language as well as support in all areas of study. Additional support will be provided in English which will include Reading, Writing and Speaking and Listening. Students will be encouraged to take part in communicative activities, to seek regular assistance and to draft written work. Trained English teachers and a Qualified Assistant are available during these sessions.
Our International Student Assistant attends some of the classes with senior International students and provides one to one assistance during class time.
International students are also encouraged to join the student leadership program where our focus is to improve the leadership skills of our 21st Century leaders.
International Student Program: Brochure
International Student Program: Information Presentation
How to Enrol
Application for enrolment is to be made to the International Education Division of The Department of Education, Victoria, Australia nominating South Oakleigh College as a preferred school.
Please visit the Victorian Government Schools International Student Program website www.study.vic.gov.au for information and application forms.
For more information about our International Student Program and application process please contact:
Ms Helen Koziaris – College Principal
South Oakleigh College
Bakers Road, Oakleigh South, VIC 3167 Australia
Phone: (613) 9579 2322 | Fax: (613) 9579 2946
South Oakleigh Secondary College is accredited under the Department of Education and Training’s CRICOS registration (CRICOS provider name and code: Department of Education and Training, 00861K). For further information refer to www.study.vic.gov.au