At South Oakleigh College we are committed to providing a learning environment where students can excel. We recognise that students have individual needs in order to achieve both academically and socially. Individual learning programs are designed to meet the needs of all our students.
The Accelerated Program is designed to challenge and extend high achieving students. The broad aim of the program is to develop high order thinking skills so that our students can gain a deeper understanding of topics studied in Mathematics and English.
We cater for students that have displayed particular strengths in lateral thinking and problem solving tasks while providing them with the chance to work with like-minded-peers. Our students are given frequent opportunities to reach their full potential.Apply for the Accelerated Program Online
For any enquiries regarding the program, please contact the College on 9579 2322.
Mark Picone – Assistant Principal
Selection Process for Year 6 Students
Entry into the Accelerated Program is through a selection process. The selection process involves gaining high results in the Mathematics and English Selection Tests. School reports, Naplan results and primary school teacher recommendations will also be considered.
Information Night for Accelerated Program – Thursday 19 April, 2018 7:10pm
Open Night – Thursday 19 April, 2018 6:30pm
Accelerated Application Closing Date – Wednesday 2 May, 2018
Year 7 2019 Accelerated Testing Day – Sunday 6, May 2018 10:00am – 12:00pm
Scholarship Application Closing Date – Friday 25 May, 2018
Structure of Year 7-9 Accelerated Classes
Students are grouped in separate classes for Mathematics and English only. This will allow students to interact with their peers, without compromising their social development, friendships and relationships. The Accelerated Mathematics and English classes are blocked at the same time as mainstream classes.
This will provide an opportunity for high achieving students who are performing exceptionally well to move across to the Accelerated classes, based on the recommendation of their teacher and the results achieved during their mid-year exam.
Exciting Opportunities in Years 10, 11 & 12
- South Oakleigh offers an innovative VCE and VET Program across Years 10,11 and 12
- Introduced in 2014, this program establishes a clear point of difference in senior secondary schooling between South Oakleigh College and other schools in the district.
- Our Year 10 and 11 students are accelerated by being given the opportunity to study subjects across all subject areas one year earlier.
- Year 10 & 11 students study VCE & VET Units 1&2 subjects
- Year 11 & 12 students study VCE & VET Units 3&4 subjects
- Students have the potential to have studied a larger number of Units 3&4 subjects over the two years. The extra subjects attract a 10% bonus in the calculation of the ATAR score
- Year 12 students are able to study one university subject gaining extra credit for their ATAR
- Apart from Study Scores and ATARs this program offers genuine acceleration and enrichment opportunities for all of our students.