Years 7 to 9
South Oakleigh College offers the AusVELS Science program at Years 7 to 9
AusVELS Science aims to ensure that students develop:
- An interest in science as a means of expanding their curiosity and willingness to explore, ask questions about and speculate on the changing world in which they live.
- An understanding of the vision that science provides of the nature of living things, of the Earth and its place in the cosmos, and of the physical and chemical processes that explain the behaviour of all material things.
- An understanding of the nature of scientific inquiry and the ability to use a range of scientific inquiry methods, including questioning; planning and conducting experiments and investigations based on ethical principles; collecting and analysing data; evaluating results; and drawing critical, evidence-based conclusions.
- An ability to communicate scientific understanding and findings to a range of audiences, to justify ideas on the basis of evidence, and to evaluate and debate scientific arguments and claims.
- An ability to solve problems and make informed, evidence-based decisions about current and future applications of science while taking into account ethical and social implications of decisions.
- An understanding of historical and cultural contributions to science as well as contemporary science issues and activities and an understanding of the diversity of careers related to science.
- Solid foundations of knowledge of the biological, chemical, physical, Earth and space sciences, including being able to select and integrate the scientific knowledge and methods needed to explain and predict phenomena, to apply that understanding to new situations and events, and to appreciate the dynamic nature of science knowledge.
The AusVELS Science Course has 3 strands at each Year Level:
- Science for Understanding
- Science as a Human Endeavour
- Science Inquiry Skills
Each AusVELS Science strand includes work from the more traditionally recognised areas:
- Biological Science
- Chemical Science
- Earth & Space Science
- Physical Science
South Oakleigh College offers two quite different Science options at Year 10
As part of our three year VCE program most students study one or VCE Units 1&2 Science subjects form.
These may be chosen from:
- VCE Biology Units 1&2
- VCE Chemistry Units 1&2
- VCE Physics Units 1&2
- VCE Psychology Units 1&2
Students not study VCE Science subjects take Year 10 AusVELS Science
Years 11 &12
Year 11 students may study:
- VCE Biology Units 1&2 or Units 3&4 if they have successfully completed Units 1&2 in Year 10
- VCE Chemistry Units 1&2 or Units 3&4 if they have successfully completed Units 1&2 in Year 10
- VCE Physics Units 1&2 or Units 3&4 if they have successfully completed Units 1&2 in Year 10
- VCE Psychology Units 1&2 or Units 3&4 if they have successfully completed Units 1&2 in Year 10
Year 12 students may study:
- VCE Biology Units 3&4
- VCE Chemistry Units 3&4
- VCE Physics Units 3&4
- VCE Psychology Units 3&4
Enrichment Activities and Competitions
South Oakleigh College students regularly participate in:
- Melbourne University Physics Lectures
- Lectures from visiting Tertiary Academics
- Scientists In Schools Visits
- Visits to the Australian Synchrotron in Clayton
- CSIRO Excursions and Incursions
Each year from 2012 to 2014 South Oakleigh College students have achieved HIGH DISTINCTION level (top 1%) in the University of New South Wales Science Competition.
In 2014 one of our Year 7 students won a Melbourne University Prize for developing an imaginative solution to a Physics problem. Read more about our Enrichment Program.