At South Oakleigh College we are committed to providing a learning environment where students can excel. We recognise that students have individual needs in order to achieve both academically and socially. Individual goal tracking is designed to meet the needs of all our students.
The Accelerated Program is designed to challenge and extend high-achieving students. The broad aim of the program is to develop high-order thinking skills so that our students can gain a deeper understanding of topics studied in Mathematics, English and Science.
We cater to students who have displayed particular strengths in lateral-thinking and problem-solving tasks while providing them with the chance to work with like-minded peers. Our students are given frequent opportunities to reach their full potential.
Entry into the Accelerated Program is through a selection process which assesses student aptitude in Maths & English. Applications are submitted online through the EduTest registration link.
Only students who are currently in Year 6 and have been offered a place at South Oakleigh College for Year 7 2023 are eligible to apply for this program.
Students who join the College during the school year may gain access to the program in some cases; testing and past academic reports may be considered if appropriate.
Students need to have received confirmation of placement into Year 7 South Oakleigh College in order to apply.
To register your child for testing and consideration for the program, please complete the online EduTest Registration by Wednesday 31 August 2022. Please note that the EduTest registration does not open until Thursday 21 July 2022.
Accelerated Program Applications Due: Wednesday 31 August 2022
Test Date: Friday 9 September 2022: 9.25am – 12.30pm
Venue: South Oakleigh College Cost: $50 (subsidised by the College)
Scholarship Program Closing Dates: Friday 19 August 2022
Applications for the Year 7 Accelerated Program 2022 will close on Wednesday 31 August 2022
Structure of Year 7 to 9 Accelerated Classes
Students are grouped in separate classes for Mathematics, English and Science. Allowing students the opportunity to interact with their peers and develop socially. Accelerated classes are blocked at the same time as mainstream classes this provides an opportunity for high-achieving students to move across to the accelerated classes, based on teacher recommendation and assessment results.
Exciting Opportunities in Senior School
- Our Year 10 and 11 students are accelerated by being given the opportunity to study subjects across all subject areas one year earlier.
- Year 10 & 11 students study VCE Units 1&2 subjects
- Year 11 & 12 students study VCE Units 3&4 subjects
- There is the potential for students to have studied a larger number of Units 3&4 subjects over the two years. The extra subjects attract a 10% bonus in the calculation of the ATAR score
- Year 12 students are able to study one university subject gaining extra credit for their ATAR
- Apart from Study Scores and ATARs, this program offers genuine acceleration and enrichment opportunities for all of our student