Outstanding Facilities and Equipment
- Computer laboratories
- A stimulating, well-stocked library
- High-performance Fitness Centre
- Gymnasium with mezzanine gym; indoor and outdoor basketball courts
- Specialist Art, Drama and Music facilities
- Specialist Photography, Multimedia, and Film and Television pre and post-production areas and equipment
- Outstanding Science and Technology laboratories and workshops
- 350 seat Performing Arts Theatre
- Student canteen and lounge
- Year 12 lounge and VCE study room
- Spacious outdoor playing fields
- Landscaped gardens
South Oakleigh has the ONLY SMALLab in the Southern- Hemisphere, our students enjoy having a class in the SMALLab where they can learn by doing in a creative interactive environment.
SMALLab is a room-sized interactive workspace where students are up out of their seats, moving as they learn. Students and teachers love the experience, and research demonstrates that SMALLab increases student learning, improves teacher performance, and drives more student-led learning.
- SMALLab integrates ultra-precise motion-capture technology with an immersive floor projection, designed for educators by educators.
- SMALLab includes unlimited access to thousands of standards-aligned activities covering all grades and subjects.
South Oakleigh’s Fitness Centre is full of a range of professional gym equipment giving our students the opportunity to work out in a supervised environment. Having this space is an amazing way for students to learn equipment safety and how to properly use the equipment to get optimal benefits. It is a way to mix up the usual Physical Education class whilst learning about the human body.
College Facilities Available for Hire
- Christine Strachan Theatre
Enquiries regarding the hire of College facilities:
- For hire of theatre, contact Theatre Manager Toni-lee Clark – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download our Theatre Hire Application Form, Theatre Hire Charges
- For hire of gymnasium or oval, contact Kelly – email@example.com or call 9579 2322
The South Oakleigh College Library focuses on creating a reading environment for students of all year levels and abilities. Access to computers, study areas and a relaxed reading section enhances learning.
During classes, students are introduced to new and recommended books, authors and writing genres. Year 7 and 8 students learn how to navigate the library catalogue to develop their research skills. Adjacent to the library is the Reading Room, a calm area where junior students have weekly reading sessions to both develop and challenge their literacy skills.
Reading incentive programs, such as the Premiers’ and House Points Reading Challenges, are held throughout the year.
During lunch, the library is a welcoming and supportive space. There are opportunities for students to connect by playing chess and other board and card games, or to simply relax with a book or magazine.